SEGMENT: LAND, GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS, & REFLECTIONS
Barb Male>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 14
- Sisters live in LaGrange. Not married to farmers. Different lifestyle for them.
- ATTITUDE TOWARDS FARMING
- Barb likes the peace and quiet of farm.
- With friends, picnics, shopping, vacation. Socializes as a couple. Did not have a telephone as a young child.
- Would not add to land. Prices of crops have gone up and land has gone down. Would not want to be a big farm. Thinks land $1500 an acre.
- Corn is over $1 a bushel, used to be $3. Beans got around $3 a bushel after moisture tests done by elevator. Stores corn in a bin on farm. Do not store beans. Makes farm decisions as a couple.
- GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS
- You do better if you go with farm programs. Government pays you if you take some of your land out of production. Use a cover crop.
- Does not see sons becoming farmers. A lot of work. Thinks financially it would be better not to farm. Would like for them to stay on farm.
- Lets children decide what they want. Would like to see them go to college to get better jobs. Neither Barb nor husband went to college.
- WOMEN'S WORK
- For extra money Barb has run a detasseling crew (in charge of young crew that pulls tassels off corn), babysitting, working in an apple orchard.