SEGMENT: FAMILY BACKGROUND, LAND, & CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
Howard Lanan>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 12
- FAMILY BACKGROUND
- Born in October 15th 1914, in DeKalb County. Tells about the farm where he was born. Great-great-grandfather paid $11/acre at 8% interest. Locates his farm, where they are today. Born on section 4, lives on section 9. Grandparents came from Chicago in 1859, originally from Belgium and Germany. Not sure why they came over. Great-great grandfather could not write & made "his mark" on documents.
- Tells who came when, where the early farms were located & why the bought wooded land near the river (Difficult to hear/understand.) Mentions the change in spelling of the family name from Leman to Lanan. Great-great-grandfather died in 1865. Family History. Inheritance
- Howard guesses the farmhouse he lives in now was there in 1867. Discusses land, nearby land, & when it was acquired.
- LAND ACQUISITION
- Howard tells of relatives purchasing local land, neighboring farms. Mentions farm sales ("Sheriff's Sale") in Chicago where land sold for $3.50/acre. Howard grew up just north of the farm they're on today.
- CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
- One-room school house. Walked 160 rods to school. Tells about school friends, their families. School house could be used for socials. Felt education was adequate, describes a standardized test he took in 7th grade. 6 teachers over the course of 8 years. 10-15 students in class with him. Teacher had to tend the fire, set the mousetraps, take care of school house. Anecdote about cheating on spelling test. No "sweethearts."