SEGMENT: ACTIVITIES, FARM WORK, & CHANGES IN FARMING METHODS
John Keith>UIS Collection K-M>UIS Collection K-M, Segment 1
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- Went to church when the children were bigger. Sometimes he drove the high-wheeled wagon to church and picked up other families that wanted to go. Had friends 4-6 miles around his farm. Schoolhouse and district were the community centers. Did not get together often, did not have telephone or radio.
- FARM WORK
- Mostly spent time working. Father did not work on Sundays, besides daily chores and in extreme times. Had a two-horse team before he was married, and 8-10 acres in a week was good. 30-35 acres of corn was a large farm. With 20-25 acres of oats and wheat each, a farmer works every day.
- CHANGES IN FARMING METHODS
- Changes in Farming Methods
- FARM EQUIPMENT
- Corn planter planted 2 rows at once, but he has seen a 1-row planter. Describes working the planter at 6-7 years old. Planter had a hill drop. Also describes a double shovel planter. Bought a 4-horse gang plow with 2 14" plows after marriage. Father did not have riding equipment.
- Decorated a cedar tree for Christmas with strings of popcorn. Had few presents but the children appreciated them, like coin banks and model cars, although they only got one present each. Had popcorn, candy, apples, and sometimes an orange for Christmas. Mother made a special dinner and pie.