>UIS Collection K-M
>UIS Collection K-M, Segment 12
SEGMENT: FARM WORK, BUTCHERY, & FOOD & MEALS,
- FAMILY ACTIVITIES
- Attended Baptist Church depending on how much work needed to be done. Worked till dark, but in winter played dominoes or other games.
- House heated with several wood-burning stoves. No fireplaces; Bedrooms not heated. Had feather-beds with quilts & comforters. Geese raised for feathers, but Geese eggs can be eaten.
- Geese butchered in winter. Hogs butchered to carry them through the corn shucking. Father used to butcher sheep in late summer. Description of sheep butchery. Had to rinse with water quickly.
- FOOD & MEALS
- Sheep eaten as a fresh meat, not cured. Took roast leg of lamb to men working in field.
- Not aware of time, except for sunup & sundown.
- WOMEN'S WORK
- Mother made all their clothes. Bought cloth in Tallula.
- Sold butter weekly in town where she bought groceries, cloth, etc. Bought flour in fall for winter meals.