SEGMENT: CHILDHOOD EDUCATION, RETIREMENT, & ACTIVITIES
Hal Ringland>UIS Collection N-R>UIS Collection N-R, Segment 14
- States he wouldn't trade his wife for another. Mentions daughter married radiologist. Hal & Leatha are grandparents.
- Married in 1919 & always lived in same house.
- CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
- Mentions length of school days. Hal never went to high school. Most teachers were women. Hal liked 1 male teacher particularly well. They kept order. In spring many boys would quit school to help on farm & would return to school in fall/winter when farm work was over. Mentions having spelling bees.
- Hal retired from farming in about 1960. Had a public sale, but Hal kept a tractor & tandem disc. "I've been real happy with retired life." Still go to the fields daily to look at progress of crops. "And I'm a great hand to mow. I don't like weeds…."
- Hal likes to play golf & would like to have his own golf course. Golf is good for his heart.