SEGMENT: ACTIVITIES, FARM WORK, & FARMHOUSE
Ruth Pauling>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 17
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- FARM WORK
- Ruth drove tractors, helped with harvest, sorting cattle/pigs. Mostly helped with planting and harvesting. Feeding the crew of hay balers.
- Changes in Appliances
- Farm 200 acres. Did not expand when opportunity arose so they could enjoy their extra money. The children were not interested in farming. Farm was inherited from husband's father. They own 1/6 of the acres, split between his siblings. Had a diversified farm.
- Cattle for 35 to 40 years.
- Corn, beans, small grain, oats, hay, pasture land. Garden grew potatoes, tomatoes, onions, beets, mush melons, squash. Husband enjoys working garden more now.
- CHILDREN'S WORK
- Describes their jobs during school. They kept their money for education, not for maintaining farm. Earned own cars, were independent early.