SEGMENT: FARM BUSINESS, FAMILY, & CHILDHOOD ACTIVITIES
Barb Male>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 14
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- FOOD & MEALS
- She does gardening, canning, freezing. Does more freezing than canning.
- FARM BUSINESS
- Farm could support them without outside job but it would be difficult. Depends on husband's carpentry jobs. Works for himself and occasionally with brother-in-law. Builds houses, sheds, etc. Barb did not get a job. Important to be home with kids.
- Has 5 kids. Four kids still at home. Tells ages. Kids help on farm, bale hay, stack hay, what ever they are needed for. Barb only helps in field when baling hay. She drives tractor. First cut in June, last in September.
- FARM EQUIPMENT
- Hires custom combine. Tractors, hay barn, plow, disk, manure-spreader, augers. Husband tries to repair himself.
- Made many improvements on home. New foundation. New drywall. Rewired. New plumbing, new floors, added bathroom, new windows. Barb feels microwave is very handy.
- Boys have jobs. Do not always have meals as a family.
- CHILDHOOD ACTIVITIES
- Describes difference between her life and her children's growing up. Life was easier then. Thinks children spend too much time playing video games, TV, computers, when they could be together as a family.
- Do not vacation every year. Trips to Hawaii, CA, Missouri, Canada.