Old Sangamon Town

Rolland Stone>UIS Collection S>UIS Collection S, Segment 23

Old Sangamon Town,

duration 00:53
Sangamon Town was incorporated in 1824 and had woolen, saw, and grist mills. The saw mill was the only steam driven one in the area. Lumber for the original Springfield courthouse was sawn there. Later the town was abandoned and the farmers removed the buildings.