SEGMENT: REFLECTIONS, WOMEN'S WORK & FARM WORK
John Ackerman>ISM Interviews A-L>ISM Interviews A-L, Segment 1
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- Enjoys the freedom of making decisions on what to do for the day; working side by side with the children & being outside, feeling the blessings of God. Says weather is a huge challenge, along with finances, stress of making up for bad crop years.
- Married to high school sweetheart, Yvette, for thirteen years; has four kids -Carmen, in college; Alex, freshman in college; Katie, in junior high school, and Sam, fourth grade.
- WOMENS WORK
- Wife runs the other store in the downtown area. Says the other shop is extension of his wife's abilities and also to bring in more cash flow since the farm shop is seasonal.
- FARM WORK
- Says there aren't any real gender roles. No written rules, but each person has their own talents and abilities. Oldest daughter works in clothing retail, oldest son wants to go into law enforcement.
- Loves the people in his community who helped out his family in 1980s when his father had a stroke. People are there for each other.
- Says its hard to take a full day off, but does do some things. Likes to hunt, plays volleyball once a week. Would love to go on vacations but can't really afford to right now.