SEGMENT: SPECIALTY LIVESTOCK, FARM BUSINESS, & LIVESTOCK CARE
Jody Heavner>ISM Interviews A-L>ISM Interviews A-L, Segment 16
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- SPECIALTY LIVESTOCK
- Talks about the types of food you can get from elk. Mentions the velvet antlers. Harvests the animals for meat; very low in cholesterol. Can find their products in grocery stores, such as County Market, and restaurants.
- FARM BUSINESS
- Has a website people can go to and order the meat. Her husband and brother developed routes around Illinois to deliver meat to the customers. Producing around 40,000 lbs of meat, including summer sausage, snack sticks.
- LIVESTOCK CARE
- Calving season is in the spring. Elk used to be native in all 48 states until they were forced out West. Will wean them pretty early on. Keep some for breeding, some for meat. Talks about what to do if they run away (cattle) and how they keep them fenced in.
- Has a place for hunting white tail deer with her husband and brother.
- Enjoy the elk. Families will drive by to see the livestock.