SEGMENT: FAMILY FARM, FARM WORK, & LIVESTOCK
Irma Long>UIS Collection K-M>UIS Collection K-M, Segment 5
- FAMILY FARM
- Story of Irma's father moving tenant farmer out of farmhouse & into town so Irma & Wilbur could occupy house & begin farming. Irma tells of how hard husband worked & studied to be a good farmer. Notes continuing growth of farm & rental of farmland. Farmed 750 acres - "A pretty good operation." Laments how few farmers in country now. Also had 2 farmers who rented & farmed their land. Totally mechanized by this time.
- FARM WORK
- Tells of threshing machines & Mr. Angelo who went farm to farm threshing grain. Discusses farmers' cooperation during silo time when all would get together for dinners.
- AGRICULTURAL ACTIVITIES
- Irma tells of oyster suppers & shooting blue rock competition. Laments changes in farming community & the lack of social activities & cooperation.
- Tells of shows at park, shopping & going to Carlinville to watch people for entertainment.
- Father bought cattle to "finish out" & then sold to National Stockyards. Sheep sheared yearly by hired help. Eggs & chickens for meals.