SEGMENT: FARMHOUSE, FAMILY FINANCES, & TRAVEL
Bill Gommel>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 7
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- FARM WORK
- Driving tractors and trucks early in life! Martha has driven all of the tractors except the new, big one.
- Bill & Martha discuss the new modern kitchen compared to the old one. Even had to go to the well for water before 1947. Mentions the outhouse, furnace. Assign dates to these developments via children's birth years. Had electricity before the 1930s.
- FAMILY FINANCES
- Kids in college, incurred debt, renting more land helped them get ahead. Made a living. (Inaudible). Became better than in the 1970s. Savings has increased in past 10 years.
- Had more money for traveling too. Lists their visits, Europe, Bahamas, out West, Smoky Mountains. Children did exchange programs in school, went to Europe. Went to Germany, where Bill's family immigrated from. Martha's favorite spot was Hawaii, but really enjoyed Europe too.
- TENANT FARMING
- Rents 320 acres.
- WOMEN'S WORK
- Martha's typical day included house and garden work & helping with livestock & in fields. Took children to school programs & activities with kids. She transported many nearby children to school when there was no bus service. Did baking & cooking, taking care of the boarder, the grandson. Did lots of cleaning, sewing when the children were small.