SEGMENT:BACKGROUND, FAMILY, & LAND
Bev Kuhn>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 8
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- Learned about Jack's family during courtship. Farm life sounded OK, not a big deal. She was a city girl then. Enjoyed hearing about America. Speculated there would be big cities, lots of people, a good life. Went to Canada but continued writing Jack. It was lonely in IL at first.
- Jack's family was very close knit, sat down to meals together, she liked the closeness. 1969.
- She was impressed with the basement & big rooms of her new house with Jack.
- WOMEN'S WORK
- Jack's mother mainly took care of the house, cooking, etc.
- FARM WORK
- raising crops
- Jack has 4 brothers, Dick, Jack, Ron, Gary & sisters Marilyn & Carol. Jack & Gary stayed in farming.
- In early 1970s family moved west to DeKalb County. Sold the Warrenville land to a developer. Bev was impressed with the openness of the land in DeKalb County. Describes the land and where it was situated. Interviewer describes the farm, house, lane, orchard, farmyard.
- FARM FACILITIES
- Bev describes the out buildings.