SEGMENT: REFLECTIONS, FARM WORK, & FARM EQUIPMENT
Bev Kuhn>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 8
- FARM BUSINESS
- Bev isn't sure how much it costs to plant an acre of corn, maybe $2/acre. Guesses return is $1.75/bushel.
- FARM EQUIPMENT
- Bev reflects on farm life, attitude toward it. "It is a good life. It is a hard life." Hopes the boys do what they would like to do, not just please Bev & Jack. Brian is interested in the farm. They all like helping after school. Bev would like to see them go to a nearby 2-year college, until they know more what they'd like to do.
- FARM WORK
- Jack doesn't really have a routine, even in winter, because of the plumbing jobs. Starts around 7 or 8am. Fall is a different routine, drying corn, night-time shifts shared by Jack and Gary. Good relationship between the 2 brothers, were always close when they were young.
- Talks about Mary. Social circles. Bev tells everyone's ages.
- Bev believes farming is the best life, especially likes her part of the country. Hopes the economy improves. Talks about people who went out of business, maybe needed to manage things better. Reflects on prices. Farming is a good life, wishes the kids could get into it. Economy doesn't make that likely. High hopes for the family farm.