SEGMENT: FAMILY, LAND, & FARM BUSINESS
Orrin Pauling>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 16
- Born June 16, 1915 in DuPage County.
- CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
- Orrin attended Catholic school, Glenbard (sp?) High school.
- Father was a farmer, farmed 500 acres with 3 brothers. Orrin got married in 1939. Moved to DeKalb County. Orrin's father and his uncle owned 150 acres and rented the rest.
- DeKalb County's land was less expensive to buy, had better ground quality. Talks about buying farms, prices, etc.
- FARM BUSINESS
- Worked DeKalb farm for his father, dad paid him a salary (their second farm). Farming multiple farms in one family, most couldn't do this during depression. Mentions prices of hogs during Great Depression.
- Brothers in farming which helped their family. Talks about family members in farming, some nephews in carpentry. Held on to farm, keeping money in real estate. [long pause]