SEGMENT: FARMING & ENVIRONMENT
Bert Aikman>UIS Collection A's>UIS Collection, Segment 3
- Description of Farm. Trout Farm was 160 acres. Dad was there 2 yrs. Trout farm was nearer timber land & has "whiter soil". It will grow good wheat. Mentions problems with chinch bugs.
- FARM EQUIPMENT
- George Folks started farming with teams of horses & oxen & did not plow that deep. After a while "plow-pan" was created. Tractor allowed them to plow deeper, cutting through plow-pan.
- Discusses differences in soil due to where glaciers were & where timber was. Describes dad's farm, how much in crops, how much in timber/pasture. Cleared land in winter. 15 acres farmable, the rest in timber & pasture. Many blackberries, raspberries. Creek on land. Drainage determined productivity. Discusses ditch digging to drain land. Work on a "scraper". Mentions ditch on "Gerlach Place."
- FARM WORK
- Discusses digging of drainage ditches to create more arable land to improve productivity.
- CHANGES IN ENVIRONMENT
- Discusses draining of swampland. Before drainage this swamp was wasteland.