SEGMENT: FARM EQUIPMENT, FARM BUSINESS, & LAND ACQUISITION
Howard Lanan>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 12
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- After WWII, less oats & hay. More corn & soybeans.
- FARM EQUIPMENT
- Howard bought a tractor, a combine. Rented more farms, so needed more machines.
- Used chemical fertilizers & use more & more all the time, started that in the 1940s. Used organic fertilizers, e.g., manure, also used. Pesticide use started after WWII. Suffered no ill-effects from chemicals.
- Discusses overproduction in the 1980s. Before that we were trying to feeding the world.
- FARM BUSINESS
- Talks about the financial ramifications of the land boom, borrowing money against land, & downturn of land values. Farmers got in trouble because they borrowed on over-valued land. When land prices dropped they were in trouble.
- CONTINUING EDUCATION
- Howard went to talks about farming, would go away for some of them. Hired men would run the farm in his absence. Good farmers read farm magazines.
- Got a television about 1942.
- FARMING DURING VIETNAM WAR
- Vietnam War raised prices in the 1960s. Farming was still profitable.
- Didn't save or invest. Borrowed money ($21k) to remodel in 1951. Discusses the house, remodeling, & use of extension service architect. No charge for architectural plans. House was used as show model.
- Howard's father died in 1976 at age of 91, mother in 1977 at age of 85. Grandmother died at age of 91.
- LAND ACQUISITION
- Inherited this farm when his grandfather passed away, mentions inheritance tax was already paid. "Favorite & only grandson."