SEGMENT: FARM BUSINESS, FARM EQUIPMENT, & GARDEN
Jack Sarff>UIS Collection S>UIS Collection S, Segment 5
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- Farmhouse; Appliances; Women's Work; Housework; Washboard; Ice Box; Milk; Hired Help
- They grew beans, onions, potatoes, carrots, sweet corn. Canned a lot. Lived in several places; struggled during the years of WWII because of high prices and low wages.
- NON-FARM WORK
- Moved to Alton to work in a factory as the shipper's assistant. Didn't like it, so moved back after seven months.
- Had three children, Norma Jean, Robert, and Joann. Kids did not like town life either. Wore out their shoes every two weeks on the sidewalks.
- FARM BUSINESS
- Went to work on a farm where he was his own boss and could have own equipment. Did not have money for equipment or hired help. Had to work so hard for two years he almost lost heart for farming. Wife went to work as a teacher at Mt. Carmel country school. He raised corn and wheat, hay, cowpeas, and alfalfa. Moved in two years. She taught at Quiver School.
- FARM EQUIPMENT
- He usually used a horse to plant with. Used an old thresher. Horse hauled bundles of grain. Sold the horse.