SEGMENT: HEALTH, RELIGION, & ENVIRONMENT
Bert Aikman>UIS Collection A's>UIS Collection, Segment 17
- Bert got poison-ivy a lot, once putting him in bed. Great-Grandmother, who was from KY, fried & made grease from nightshade plant for poison-ivy. Mentions tea made from vervain roots to cure bellyaches (sometimes due to eating green apples), sassafras tea, & a tea made from wild cherry & crabapple bark. Special method to peel bark. Mentions looking for hemlock in Oregon. Mentions cascara bark & cascara tree.
- Bert gives attitude towards literal interpretation of Bible, "….I believe every word of it."
- Bert mentions getting coal for furnace from Nilwood with his father.
- Mentions bad winter when he wore skates a lot & had to take water to cattle & horses because ice made it hard for them to walk.
- COAL MINING
- Mentions coal mine in Girard around 1900.
- Bert corrects himself about Dr. who delivered his sisters.
- CHILDHOOD ACTIVITIES
- List of games played as a child. Playing cards were not allowed. Authors helped with knowing history.