SEGMENT: FAMILY ACTIVITIES, HORSES, & MARRIAGE
Marie Burch>UIS Collection B's>UIS Collection B's, Segment 6
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- FAMILY ACTIVITIES
- Believes roads were bad & that breaking of wheels was a problem. Went into Springfield to shop for shoes, candy and gum. Mentions that her grandmother sized shoes by sticking her hand in shoe & would know which children it would fit.
- Marie had her tonsils out. Took train to see Dr. Hagler. Used on local anesthetic. It really hurt. Whole family except mother had whooping cough together.
- Marie's uncle Dave gave her a horse. She wore a divided skirt (now called a skort) to ride. Before pants or slacks for women. Horse named Teddy would kneel down for her to mount and dismount. She rode it downtown.
- Marie lived with her widowed Uncle Dave and his female cousin from Peoria, who came to help him out after his mother and sister died. Marie acted as chaperon, since the other two were not siblings or spouses. Came home & enjoyed her horse & chickens. Did not ride horse to school. Did help uncle Dave drive cattle.
- COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Her brother Hayward gave land to the town for a park for children. He inherited field from uncle Dave.
- LAND ACQUISITION
- Notes that she received 160 acres from uncle Dave.
- Talks about the shivaree for her uncle again. Talks of throwing chickens in air, singing, yelling, etc. Many towns people took part as well as family.
- CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
- Marie attended one of the first new township high schools starting her sophomore year. Discussion occurs while looking at picture album.