SEGMENT: LIVESTOCK, NON-FARM WORK, & REFLECTIONS
Joanne (Anonymous)>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 3
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- FARM-RELATED WORK
- Husband's outside work. Describes reasons why husband began trucking business. For independence etc. Trucking brought in some extra income in the 1970s.
- 3 children, 2 boys, 1 girl. Describes children's ages. Fall 1971 quit working to be home.
- No animals until oldest son started 4-H. Got pigs for him in 1980 and have had them ever since. In past, renters had horses. Now has approx 150 hogs they raise to 250 lbs. and sell to market. Describes farrowing and finishing houses when raising pigs. They raise pigs from babies.
- Two semis. Two tandem trucks, several small trucks. Describes what he hauls. In fall he hauls grain. Hauls for his father and brother.
- NON-FARM WORK
- Joanne had to go back at work at the university. Feels she wasted time being home for too long. Farm wives work as a necessity for money. Describes different part time jobs that neighboring farmers and their wives do. They raise seed corn but it has been cut back.
- Thinks there must be a simpler way to earn a living because there is not enough money or free time with this lifestyle.