SEGMENT: TOWNS, FAMILY, & FARM-RELATED WORK
Joanne (Anonymous)>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 3
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- LaSalle was to the West, Utica (the closest) to the north, Ottawa to the East. Did shopping in LaSalle and then in Ottawa when brother went to high school there. Father did grain business in LaSalle at cooperative elevator. LaSalle had grocery stores, drug stores, library, doctor. Did not spend as much time in LaSalle.
- Trips to Chicago with school and 4-H, Museums, Art History, Planetarium. End of Tape. Side 2.
- Graduated high school in 1964. Northern Illinois University, entered as Business Education Major. Went 3 years and then worked as full time secretary for professors in Education. Describes summer jobs.
- Introduced to husband by mutual friend and married a year and a half later. Worked at Wurlitzer before marriage. Started a family. Was home for 12 years and now works at university again for past 2 years. Describes why she left the University for Wurlitzer. Husband graduated from DeKalb High school. Was a farmer and hauled grain and peas for extra money. Married Sept. 1969. Lived in DeKalb in apartment above his grandfather.
- Moved to country farmhouse adjacent from husband's family's land. Husband's family ran approximately 1000 acres.
- FARM WORK
- Husband worked with father and brother. Husband worked mainly with father and brother, no hired help.
- FARM-RELATED WORK
- Husband's outside work, began trucking business in early 1970's to haul crops for canners. Hauls peas, sweet corn, seed corn, and grain generally not far distances.