SEGMENT: FARM BUSINESS, GLOBAL POLITICS, & NON-FARM WORK
Orrin Pauling>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 16
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- FARM BUSINESS
- During war wife did not work off farm. Hired help during harvest time. Sometimes Uncle would help. Paid about a dollar an hour.
- Visited parents and in-laws every 2 weeks.
- First car owned in 1940. Ordered it a while before it came. Tape skipped and began mid topic.
- GLOBAL POLITICS
- Discussing how to solve the farm problem. We've lost exports and are not using as much in U.S. Grain embargo made some customers discouraged. Taught some third world countries how to yield more crops so they don't have them as buyers, but they are better off.
- FARM EQUIPMENT
- Talks about cost of combines. He prefers to have the combine work hired out. Cost is less to have custom work done.
- FARMING METHODS
- He had a diversified farm with crops and livestock. Got out of hog business because it got too competitive. Kept a few different crops on farm.
- NON-FARM WORK
- Did some work as an electrician. His electrical work was not done during farming season. Was not necessary for income but it did help. Worked for himself, people would seek him out for electrical work.