SEGMENT: ACTIVITIES, RETIREMENT, & REFLECTIONS
Orrin Pauling>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 16
- Went to state parks & Wisconsin. Traveled with kids for sports and 4-H.
- FARM BUSINESS
- Made less money in the 70's because of farmers expanding but his side job helped. Knew his sons would not farm so he did not want to expand.
- They had decided at age 65 they would quit. Glad he did not expand because of the competitiveness. Of the mindset that if you can't sell it then you should not raise it.
- GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS
- We have too much food which is why its so cheap.
- Over-Production of potatoes, cotton (only brings half of what it should), sugar beets.
- Made more money after retirement because of social security, investments from sale of equipment, retirement plan and mutual funds. Was advised by farm organizations. Has IRA.
- Went to square dances after retirement. After kids left home; play cards, go on trips, Vancouver, Montana, San Francisco. Neighbors or their children took care of farm when they were gone.
- In 1970's belonged to Farm Bureau, Illinois Livestock, Knights of Columbus. Describes a recent fund raising effort from Knights of Columbus.