SEGMENT: BEEKEEPING, WOMEN'S WORK, & FARM BUSINESS
Irene McGuire>ISM Interviews M-Z>ISM Interviews M-Z, Segment 1
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- My kitchen has always been the apple room. It is always filled kitchen with gifts. She puts them out because she does not want to hurt anyone's feelings.
- Hired a man from Wisconsin, Charged by the number of Hives put out.
- WOMEN'S WORK
- Women in the area worked in the packing house for extra money. Most worked in the packing house since it was thought that women should not be on ladders. Notes men in orchard. Women did the sorting in packing house. Later in 1970's, some women, mainly students, wanted to work the orchards. She notes the difference between "classroom theory" and "what really happens". Story of accident with ladder.
- FARM BUSINESS
- Notes that workers who did not think often got hurt & she took them to doctor. Often took people to the doctor even if they were not seriously hurt to avoid law suits.
- Brought bees into the orchard to make up for a deficiency in local bees. She notes that some types of trees are self pollinating but others are not. Renting bees & beekeeper was expensive. Bee pollinating business was from Wisconsin. Hives brought on a semi truck., Hives were set out at even distances. Keeper would tend the hives and set them out, & after so many days he would retrieve hives. Husband was the only one to get stung because he was to interested in it.