SEGMENT: GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS, RELFECTIONS, & ENVIRONMENT
Stephen Scates>ISM Interviews M-Z>ISM Interviews M-Z, Segment 9
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- WOMEN'S WORK
- Most farmers are male. Most farmers are white. Remembers two or three in Gallatin County.
- GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS
- Subsidies have helped through hard times. Difficult to administer when needed. Farm programs are written for seven years at a time. Although crop prices have increased, operating cost has increased as well (fuel and fertilizer).
- Doesn't want to see a handful of companies controlling all agriculture. Points out that the US relies on other countries for fuel, doesn't want to see us rely on other countries for food as well.
- Learned hard lessons about erosion in the 1920s. No-till farming is used whenever possible. Soil erosion also effects water quality.
- FARM BUSINESS
- Main goal is to make a profit to be able to pay the partners and employees. Finds the farming process very enjoyable.