SEGMENT: FAMILY FARM, RELIGION, & POLITICS
Larry Smith>UIS Collection S>UIS Collection S, Segment 20
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- FAMILY FARM
- Recalls parents hatred of Communism, but notes brothers cooperated, sharing equipment, equipment purchase price, etc. His brothers do the same thing today.
- Family was very religious. Went to simple country church. Attended regularly. Did not ask questions, just believe. Arguments always settled by reference to Bible. Sang hymns at home. Parents still played cards, went to movies, played songs.
- Mother did not pay attention to world politics until Stalin. Parents & local farmers like President Roosevelt & New Deal, in spite of distrusting city people & rich folks.
- Discussion of magazines received at house. Not allowed to read comic books. Story of book salesman coming to door. Did not buy books, Bible was only book needed.
- Listened to battery operated radio. Leaned to read by candlelight. Electricity came in 1940's. Gravity fed water to bathroom in house. No hot water. Story of father not believing in hot water baths. Listened to WLS as a family every Saturday night.