SEGMENT: CROPS, WEATHER, & ENVIRONMENT
Warren Scholl>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 18
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- Left the hog business in 1968. Old house difficult to heat. Built house with family, family project.
- Contracted sweet corn and peas to Del Monte. Income was variable based on weather. This year Warren produced sweet corn and beans for Del Monte. Mentions government set-aside program. Tape break, Side 2.
- Warren discusses the details of marketing his and his mother's corn.
- Tells of the weather problems, moisture, and negative effects on the crops this current year.
- Warren comments on the necessity of them, the problems with them environmentally and health-wise. Discusses root worm with corn and dangerous chemicals, effects on water system and water life.
- Comments on changing ecology, dependency on these techniques and chemicals. No more crop rotation means poorer soil, crops and air quality. Hay, corn, oats used to be the cover/rotation crops. Interesting comment on birdlife being affected by the lack of cover crops - even in Warren's own lifetime.
- GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS
- Recalls a former Sec. of Agriculture, Earl Butz, and foreign policies that have changed. Government promoted efficiency & production.