SEGMENT: FARM BUSINESS, COLLEGE EDUCATION, & FAMILY ACTIVITIES
Joanne (Anonymous)>NIU Collection>NIU Collection, Segment 3
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- FARM BUSINESS
- Rarely hired extra help, sometimes neighbor boys for baling. Mainly father, uncle, and father's cousin. Neighbors would help each other out. Father had no other plans besides farming. Thinks equipment was the same growing up.
- Always had a car and pick up truck. 1954 blue and white Plymouth, next a 1960 Plymouth. Always bought cars new.
- COLLEGE EDUCATION
- Was understood that they would go to college. Describes siblings' college degrees. College very important to Joanne's parents. Father went to college for less then 1 semester, not sure why he stopped. Most neighborhood children her age went to college but her brother's age not as many.
- FAMILY ACTIVITIES
- Whole family would go visiting. Parents played Canasta with relatives or friends. Played Canasta as a family as well. Describes Christmas activities. Church on Christmas Eve. Got together with same neighbors every year. Went to Aunt's house (Father's Side) the day of Christmas and to Mother's family the previous or following weekend. Fourth of July picnic with church, played games, fireworks in Ottawa 12-15 miles away.
- Maternal grandfather died when Joanne was a senior in high school, Grandmother died when Joanne was in college. Spent a few day each summer with grandparents. Lived about 10 miles away.