SEGMENT: AGRO-TOURISM, SPECIALTY CROPS, & ENVIRONMENT
John Ackerman>ISM Interviews A-L>ISM Interviews A-L, Segment 1
|<-Previous Segment||Next Segment->|
- Names, Dates, & Places
- Allow school groups to come to Ackerman Farms. Had about 2,700 children come in 2007. Children go on a hayride, pet the animals, learn about pumpkins, and get a gift at the end of the day.
- FARM BUSINESS
- Talks about the creation of his webpage.
- SPECIALTY CROPS
- Mentions attempting to grow strawberries in 2005, but only had 5% of a normal crop. Talks about his apple trees and the U-Pick operation; doesn't pre-pick the apples.
- FOOD & MEALS
- Grows sweet corn, tomatoes and peppers, but doesn't sell.
- Farm is on gently rolling lowlands; area used to be a swamp-needed drainage tiles. At the base of a glacial moraine. Has an aquifer about 12 feet underground. Mentions use of clay drainage tiles. Hopes to one day put in modern drainage tiles, but its expensive.
- FARM EQUIPMENT
- Says that every operation needs its own equipment.